In order to make the relocation process as smooth as possible, you should do the following prior to contacting a real estate professional to view properties:
- Know your credit score - A credit report from any of the 3 credit reporting agencies; Equifax, Experian or TransUnion will be accepted. If you do not have a copy of your credit report, you may obtain a FREE report online click here or obtain your credit score online click here
- Have your last two pay stubs ready to submit with the application.
- Landlords require the first month's rent AND the security deposit (usually equal to one month's rent) up front at the time you sign the lease, usually these amounts are via certified funds (money order and/or cashier's check).
- Real estate offices and property management companies will require an application fee to pull your credit report. Fees range from $50 - $85 per adult (age 18 and over) who will be living at the property.
- Pets -- If you have a pet you should be prepared to pay at least a $500 pet deposit upon signing the lease. Many times the pet deposit depends on the weight and number of animals you will have living with you in the rental property.
- If you have poor credit, you should write a letter to have ready to submit with your application with an explanation of any of the following: Divorce, Transfer, Raise, or New Chapter in your life.
- Prior to relocaing, you should contact a local Real Estate Agent; located in the area you would like to live, who can provide you with a list of rental properties currently available through the Multiple Listing Service (MLS.) This will allow you to have the most current homes and to know how far your $$$ will go for a specific area.
- Be ready to complete a Rental Application for the State of Virginia and provide your Military ID and/or State Drivers License to prove your identity.
The above steps will go far to ensure a smooth transition for you and your family when relocating to the Washington, D.C. Metro area.
If you would like to receive a FREE list of rental properties which meet your specific search criteria, please follow this link http://militaryrelocationpro4u.com/RentalList OR contact me directly via phone/text (703) 232-5766.